I ran into a bit of confusion while trying to get the IE Developer Toolbar installed recently, so I figured I'd post my notes publicly in case others were having similar frustrations. It may be due to lack of effort on my part, but I had this thing installed for nearly a month before I actually figured out how to turn everything on. (It did, however, seem to be a pretty frequent problem on Google.)
As usual, nothing in Internet Explorer can be rudimentary. The first thing I noticed was that the toolbar wasn't showing. It wasn't located intuitively under
View > Toolbars, but rather
View > Explorer Bar. Once I had it showing, all of the options were grayed out/disabled. Urgh...less than useful. Here's how I got everything to work.
- Download the IE Developer Toolbar.
- Run the MSI and proceed through the install as normal.
- When you restart IE, the developer toolbar will most likely not be showing. To show the toolbar, press
ALT + V(to access the hidden
Viewmenu), then select
Explorer Bar > IE Developer Toolbar.
- If all of the options are grayed out, go to
Tools > Internet Options > Advancedand make sure
Enable Third-party Browser Extensionsis checked.
- Then, go to
Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add-onsand look for
IE Developer Toolbarand
IE Developer Toolbar BHO. Make sure both are enabled.
- Restart IE and enjoy your new toy :)